Celebrating 7 Years! Get up to $30 off GeneratePress Premium!

[Resolved] Blog Archive Thumbnails

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Blog Archive Thumbnails

Home Forums Support Blog Archive Thumbnails

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Andy

Hi,

I’m using WP Show Posts on the home page under the ‘Latest News’ section. Here it crops/resizes any image to a standard size.
    But unfortunately on the main news archive page this doesn’t happen, so for example the latest article I’ve just added which has taller dimensions than the other images looks wrong.
    I’ve tried setting a size in the customizer for archive featured images but whatever I enter doesn’t seem to take effect. I’ve also tried the WP-Control plugin but there isn’t any image processing task listed in the queue.

Am I missing something obvious here?

GP Premium 1.5.6
    Andy

Ok I changed the photo to something with more landscape proportions and it seems to work fine. But when adding an image which has more portrait proportions such as 427×600, it isn’t able to crop/resize the same as WP Show posts does.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The WPSP resizer will resize up if needed, whereas the GP resizer won’t (for good reason actually).

We’ll be updating both resizers to something better soon.

Andy

Any update on this? It would be really nice if the thumbnails resized to the dimensions specified in the customizer as its not always possible to add images that have the exact same proportions.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

In most cases, thumbnails do resize to the dimensions specified in the Customizer. For that reason, it hasn’t been a top priority.

I’m looking at switching up the resizer entirely, based on what WooCommerce has just done. However, it won’t make it into core until at least GPP 1.7.

Andy

ok, would you mind checking my site again using the URL from my original post incase something isn’t working as it should be.
    If you look at the latest post dated today you’ll see the thumbnail is taller than the rest. But on the homepage using the WPShow Posts plugin its been resized to match the other thumbnails as required.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you quickly clear your caching plugin and see if it helps?

Andy

Cleared cache but no effect I’m afraid.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Are the original images larger in both width and height than the values you have saved in the Customizer?

Andy

Yes, original image in the latest post is 1200×655. Thumbnail size settings in customizer is 650×473.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The latest post cropping is working – it’s the others that aren’t.

The next image is 600×398, which is less than your Customizer settings.

Andy

Thanks, I think the problem was I was having to use images of exact same proportions/dimensions on the homepage as some were displaying narrower than others. This is perhaps why I ended up with images too small for the main archive page too.
    However, currently home page images are displaying fine even though they are all different sizes. It maybe because I had been using an image too small on the homepage too.

On a slightly different issue I realise now that using rows of 3 columns was a bit of a mistake as when resized down to tablet size (769px or below) the thumbnails are rather large. I could use the grid system to change them to 2 columns but that would leave one thumbnail on it’s own on the last row which I think would look a little odd.
    The easiest thing to do would just change it to a 4 column row but I feel the thumbnails would be too small then. Is there any other way around this?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It looks like all of the News page images are working now, except for the second post (as it has a smaller image).

As for the responsive issue, you could leave the images larger on desktop, which would fix the issue on mobile.

Otherwise you would need to go the media query route with the uneven post count.

Andy

Sorry Tom, not sure what you mean by leaving them larger on desktop. The issue is a single column makes them too large around the 700-769px viewport area.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, got it. In that case you’ll likely need to make then be 2 columns instead of 1, and deal with the uneven number. If you have another idea I may be able to help you achieve it with some CSS?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.