[Support request] Blocks break on pasting in links

Home Forums Support [Support request] Blocks break on pasting in links

Home Forums Support Blocks break on pasting in links

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt

I’ve got an issue where if I am pasting a link over a highlight bit of text in a paragraph (to turn that highlighted text into a hyperlink) – the block breaks with the error “The block has encountered an error and cannot be previewed”. It is then unrecoverable and can’t be turned into HTML to edit.

block error

This has only happened in a recent version of wordpress as I performed this same action all the time before. It’s not a custom block, just a standard paragraph block. GP and Premium are both the latest versions though I do use a child theme I flushed cache to check if this was the issue. Apparently this is a known issue according to WordPress support forums

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/read-this-first-wordpress-5-4-master-list/#post-12608712

“Some non-free themes from paid sources cause minor incompatibility issues with the latest version of the block editor. These can manifest as “This block has encountered an error and cannot be previewed”. Go to where you purchased your theme, and download an update for it. The marketplace where you bought the theme may have an update plugin you should use to keep the theme up to date.”

Could you take a look at this? Should be easily replicable. Make a new post, start typing in a paragraph block. Copy a URL, then highlight some text in the paragraph and then press paste. I can get around it by clicking the hyperlink and adding but it’s a time waster as if I don’t, I accidentally ruin an entire paragraph of work.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can you test if the same issue occurs in a twenty series default theme?

Let me know 🙂

Matt

Unfortunately I can’t revert my live site to the 2020 theme without affecting it as a business and possibly causing issues with switching back. Is there a way you could test an instance?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It definitely shouldn’t be the theme, as it doesn’t interfere with the editor at all. I did a quick test here: https://www.screencast.com/t/nejrekOl

It could be a plugin or custom function on your site – worth checking out.

If you need to debug further without affecting your live site, you’d need to create a staging site.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.