[Support request] Bigger code and worse speed than previous site

Home Forums Support [Support request] Bigger code and worse speed than previous site

Home Forums Support Bigger code and worse speed than previous site

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    generator

Hello,

I had a website using the sydney theme and elementor…now I took it and just switched it to GPpremium.
    I kept everything else the same (just one little coding to make navigation sticky).

Now I did some SEO check with the following results (GP left, Sydney right).
    Can you please explain or make suggestions for improvements concerning things like the quite bigger filesize, text-ratio and not improved page speed?

------GP-------------|-----Sydney----------
    page speed insights   |
    mobil 61              |       62
    desktop 62            |       62
                          |
    data transfer 3423kB  |    2348 kB
    response time 218 ms  |     203 ms
                          |
    content to            |
    source ratio  8,9 %   |    11,9 %

Is the premium version way more heavy than standard GP?
    I bought it actually to have a flexible but lightweight theme…
    Thank you for your help

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It’s hard to tell without actually seeing the websites. If all you added was the sticky menu, then two extra files would be loaded (CSS and JS).

Your page speed insight scores indicate there’s some content issues – maybe large images?

Instead of using Google Page Speed Insights, I would use something like Pingdom or GT Metrix which allows you to look at the waterfall of files loaded. That will give you a better indication of what’s going on.

generator

Thank you for your reply.
    It has quite a few videos maybe that’s the case…but I didn’t change the content just the theme and now opposed to my previous site it’s way larger, so it has to do with the theme not the content. What makes the theme so large?

I will do some further tests wit GMetrix and compare them.
    (added domain to the topic)

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I took a look at your site waterfall. The majority of the size is coming from your content and plugins.

It does look like you’re loading the theme style.css unnecessarily – check your functions.php for a function enqueueing the parent style: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/child-theme-issues/#enqueing-the-parent-style-css-file

generator

Thank you very much.
    I created the child with “one click child” this added some code for parent and child css…
    It loads a bit faster now, but page speed insight results are the same

I always try to keep plugins as few as possible…are the most loaded by elementor and elementor pro widgets?…would it be good to group the loaded files together(?) but I actually don’t know how to do that or how to reduce them, I believe they even load some files twice.

Could you recommend any other things to do?
    I will also see what they recommend on GTmetrix and if I can do that.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There’s some tips here for GP: https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

Take a look at your file requests/waterfall and you’ll be able to pinpoint the resources taking the most time to load.

For example, I just ran your site through Pingdom, it’s over 7MB in page size and have over 100 requests. A lot of it looks video related.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.