[Support request] Best Way To Share Theme- Child theme or ?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Best Way To Share Theme- Child theme or ?

Home Forums Support Best Way To Share Theme- Child theme or ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dani

Hi,

I’d like to share a theme I’ve built out with my students as part of my course. What’s the best way to do this?

I’d love a setup like how the site library works but don’t see a way to do that with our own designs?

Is a child theme best and if so how do I get all the customizer settings we’ve done to be with child theme?

And of course this would be for after they purchase the core generatepress license.

Thank you!

Excited to share generatepress with them.

Dani

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

when you say Theme – will this include content that you have added to pages / posts etc? So the same as a Site Library import.

If so then you would need to use something like the Duplicator Plugin and share the duplicated file with them. They can then install duplicator and import your site.

Dani

Hey David,

Thanks. I’m concerned that the duplicator plugin might be too technical for WordPress newbies.

Getting that installer up to their host seems like it could be a struggle.

Your site library is so much easier to use.

Any further ideas on this?

Would a child theme be simpler even if the pages didn’t have content?

Any chance we can get access to share our templates via the same kind of interface as your theme library in the future?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

What modifications are you making to the site ? Are they just changes to the Customizer ? If they are then you can simply use the Import/Export function:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/import-export-overview/

Dani

Hey David,

No the changes are everywhere. We have custom CSS, snippets, custom elements, plugins, posts they need, the widgets have been customized.

I’m not sure how to get all this over to them.

Dani

We heavily modified the Avery theme. So I’m trying to figure out where those files/settings are coming from and how to best manage this.

https://phinable.com/ is the sample site currently.

Dani

https://theadventurebite.com/ is our site and what we are transferring template over from if you want to see it fully in action.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Trickier one as things like Elements are actually a post type.
    I would probably create a staging site of your NEW site. The import the content from your existing site … make any modifications / corrections that are required then push that to live when you’re happy.

Dani

Hey David,

Yeah…except this is something we need to be able to hand to our students.

So it’s not something I can just clone at will. I need it to be bundled up and able to be given to them in as concise of an import process as possible.

I guess I’m confused a bit on how the Site Library is working and how we could do something similar?

Click here, it loads in the theme, installs plugins and sets up pages, widgets etc.

It’s such a clean importer I’d love to figure out how we can have a similar setup.

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

aah – ok…. in that case you would need to Export/Import the site – using a plugin like Duplicator. Its effectively what the Site Library is doing, accept it has some special rules already in place to keep the current sites content etc in place.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.