[Support request] Best practices for Google Fonts + GPP & GBP

Home Forums Support [Support request] Best practices for Google Fonts + GPP & GBP

Home Forums Support Best practices for Google Fonts + GPP & GBP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Teresa

My tools of choice for building sites are GPP, GBP and WPSPP. Performance/page load is very important, but we still usually choose Google Fonts over system fonts.

Can you suggest ways we can ensure we don’t load unnecessary fonts, or load fonts more than once? Any other advice/best practices around using external fonts with GPP would be super helpful.

While updating our site yesterday I discovered that GenerateBlocks was making an extra call out to Google to grab fonts. I haven’t checked every page in our site to see if it’s sitewide, but seems as though it is. It’s definitely appearing where I haven’t included a GB block on the page. I’m using Perfmatters to unload it.

This is likely related to a setting or something else I absentmindedly changed. We put our own site last when we have a lot of client work and it took like 6 months to complete. I forget stuff.🙃 Additionally, I did crazy experiments with fonts (variable fonts, self-hosting fonts).

I’d like to be clear on how I should be working with GPP and GBP, so I’m sure we’re delivering an all-around optimal site for the client.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

You can do either of the 2:

a.) Remove the request being made from GP.
    Go to Appearance > Customize > Typography and check all the sections for any Google fonts selected and/or variants if you only want to remove the variants.
    https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/typography-overview/

Or completely remove it: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/remove-google-fonts/

b.) Remove the request being made from GB.
    Check your blocks and unset the typography settings and let GP Premium’s Appearance > Customize > Typography apply the font-family (h1-h6).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.