[Support request] Best practices for client sites

Home Forums Support [Support request] Best practices for client sites

Home Forums Support Best practices for client sites

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Russ

Hello, I just picked up GeneratePress and had a few questions.

1.) Is there any sort of best practices when it comes to using it for a clients site? They already have their WordPress up but I’ll be working on a private development site.

2.) Would I essentially use a child theme to place their custom changes inside?

3.) I’m guessing when it’s time to port over, I install GP on their site, export/import the theme along with the settings from GP?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

not really a best practice.
    I personally push current sites to a Staging server in the majority of cases, swap out the Theme ( install a child theme if required ) and make mods directly to the site.

But your process looks pretty sound… depending on what #2 entails – any specifics there ?

Russ

Thank you for that! Sorry I come from a platform where you place any any all changes for a theme inside a child style. Looking at your link, I’ll primarily be making simple image/css changes.

Once you’re done at the staging, what’s your practice to move it back to the live site? Essentially step 3?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Just an insight to GeneratePress.
    A lot of what other Themes require a Child Theme for can be done without one in GP.

1. The Customizer is fairly comprehensive for applying styles and setting the general layout.
    2. The theme templates and functions are filled with Filter and Action Hooks. In a lot of cases this means no need to create your child own child theme templates to make changes.
    3. The Elements module exposes Action Hooks ( and some Filter Hooks in the Layout Element ) via a user friendly interface. So injecting code/content ( including Block designed content ) into a template can be done within the theme.

I primarily use Child themes for PHP snippets, CPT Templates ( where necessary ) and local Font storing.

Hope that helps – happy to help with any specifics.

Once you’re done at the staging, what’s your practice to move it back to the live site? Essentially step 3?

Thats correct.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.