[Resolved] Best practice for editing in straight html on posts (instead of Gutenberg)

Home Forums Support Best practice for editing in straight html on posts (instead of Gutenberg)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kristin

Hello!

I’m using a bunch of plugins for an online course I’m developing (e.g., LearnDash, H5P, Toolset), so prefer to edit in straight HTML (vs visual/block editors) so I can control every little detail and prevent issues with plugins not playing well together.

As I know you also value high performance and keeping things simple, I would love your advice on what interface to use for editing my posts in the cleanest, simplest way.

I tried the Classic Editor plugin to get rid of Gutenberg, but since the last WordPress update, I’m now having issues with <p> tags sometimes getting automatically added, sometimes not. Perhaps something to do with a plugin, but before I waste more time troubleshooting the wrong thing, I would love your advice on a best practice for html editing.

Thank you!

Kristin

p.s. If your advice is to learn Gutenberg I will do my best, but also wanted to add that my posts use LearnDash custom post types and often contain shortcodes for conditional display of content using Toolset custom fields and forms. This is already complex enough which is why I try to steer clear of any additional clutter.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’m now having issues with <p> tags sometimes getting automatically added, sometimes not.

Are you using the visual editor? If so that’s actually a common issue people encounter.

I would say the cleanest method would be to use HTML/text editor from classic editor, but you can also do the same thing with the Gutenberg editor as well.

Kristin

Hi, no I don’t like the visual editors so never use them. I only edit in html, but even with that practice I’m getting inconsistencies with the p tags and spacing between paragraphs.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I would say that make sure you don’t have any empty lines in the HTML editor.

Kristin

Okay tried that… and the only way I could get it to work using the Classic Editor plugin was to add a bunch of manual <p> tags, eliminate all blank lines in between paragraphs, and also eliminate any line breaks at all in between shortcodes and tags such as paragraphs. This was almost impossible to read, as everything was jammed together, but it did work.

Out of desperation I deactivated my Classic Editor plugin and used Gutenberg, and although extremely clunky to use, this works as expected. It allowed me to have blank lines in between paragraphs and shortcodes so I can tell what’s going on, I don’t have to add a bunch of manual <p> tags, and I don’t have to jam everything together… and yet the user-side view was as expected, with only the expected amount of spacing between paragraphs, elements, etc. – not too little, not too much.

I’d love it if GeneratePress could lift us out of the constraints and clutter of the Gutenberg editor – if this is a viable product request, please add me to the list of interested customers!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’d love it if GeneratePress could lift us out of the constraints and clutter of the Gutenberg editor

Unfortunately that is completely handled by WordPress/Gutenberg.

Perhaps the headline block from GenerateBlock would help with some of the issues?
    https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/headline-overview/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.