[Resolved] Auto-updates and GPP?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Auto-updates and GPP?

Home Forums Support Auto-updates and GPP?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    NBC

I’m using GP/GPP on 10+ sites. On some of them, the new auto-update link is absent from the plug-in listing for GPP. I can set GP to auto-update on these sites, but not GPP.

Any particular combination of circumstances of which you’re aware that would cause that to happen?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I’m assuming that auto-updates only work with plugin/themes hosted on WordPress.org.

Seeing as GP Premium comes from our server, it’s not active.

Not sure if premium plugins/themes will be able to integrate with auto-updates at some point in the future – I would guess so 🙂

NBC

Hi, Tom!

On some of my sites, GPP can auto-update. On others, the option isn’t even available on the plug-ins page.

I’m just trying to figure out the difference.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

are all your sites on WordPress 5.5 ? As the option is only available on the latest version

NBC

Yes, they are on WP 5.5.

What’s notable is that on some of my sites, GPP shows nothing on the plug-in screen where the enable/disable auto-updates link should be. On other sites, the link is present and I’ve activated it.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I just checked my installs and none of them show Auto Update for plugins that are NOT on the WP repro. I wonder what the difference is there ?

NBC

I uploaded a screen shot (link added to the original post) showing 3 of my sites’ plug-in pages. Look at the differences and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Very strange, did the auto-update go through?

I haven’t looked into how they’re doing auto-updates, yet. I assumed it would be WP repo-specific, but I guess not.

NBC

Hi, Tom!

I should have let it do its thing, but I’m so conditioned to update stuff when I see it that I clicked on the update link instead of letting it go.

I’ll monitor this and see what happens on future updates. I get e-mailed notifications when something auto-updates, so I’ll look for GPP.

What totally baffles me is the site where the auto-update option’s not even available for GPP.

Let me know if you want me to send you log-in credentials for any of these sites so you can take a look for yourself.

NBC

This really has me baffled. I’m setting up another site, and there’s no sign of the auto-update link on the plug-ins page.

And yes, I reloaded the page and rechecked it after I entered my GPP license key.

Some of my other sites have it; others don’t—and there’s no obvious rhyme or reason to which do and which don’t.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It may just be how those sites are communicating with our server. Has the link appeared on any of the sites where it wasn’t appearing originally?

NBC

Actually, yes, the auto-update link appeared on one site’s plug-ins page after a page refresh when it wasn’t visible previously. I’ve looked at so many of these sites today, I couldn’t tell you which one it was. On others, it’s stubbornly absent. I haven’t checked all of them.

They’re all hosted through the same provider and on the same account, so IDK what’s going on here.

NBC

And it appears that the sites that think they can auto-update GPP are suffering from a group delusion. 😉

When I refreshed the plug-ins page this morning on one site that should have auto-updated overnight, I saw the following error message:

Automatic update overdue by 5 hours. There may be a problem with WP-Cron.

I’m calling this resolved, but I wish I could figure out why that site thought it could accomplish the impossible.

NBC

And then I ran a manual update, only to be greeted by this:

Update failed: The plugin is at the latest version.

I disabled the auto-update and refreshed the plug-ins page. The error message went away. Now the regular manual-update message has reappeared (“There is a new version of GP Premium available. View version 1.11.3 details or update now.”).

After that, the manual update was successful.

So to recap: If your site thinks it can auto-update GPP, the procedure will fail, and unless/until you disable the auto-update, the manual update will fail as well.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This sounds like a WordPress bug they need to sort out. I assumed it only works with WP Repo plugins/themes, which seems to be the case. Hopefully they can either make it work with premium plugins or remove that link if it doesn’t apply.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.