[Support request] Attachment page

Home Forums Support [Support request] Attachment page

Home Forums Support Attachment page

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marco

Hello

1. How do I replace the page title with e.g. the name of the parent page – couldn’t find a filter to replace the page-title?
    2. Where do I set which picture size to show on the attachment page – for some reason it is a 720-300px image which is not wide enough.
    3. How do I remove the comment form on the attachment page only?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. I’m not sure if there’s a filter for the page title, unfortunately. You would likely need to create an attachment.php template file in your child theme. Then you can replace the_title() with the necessary function to grab the parent page title.

2. Something like this might do it: https://gist.github.com/rfmeier/5753101

3. This plugin should do it: https://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-comments/

Marco

Thanks for your input

1. as to creating an attachment.php template file, I guess I can just copy the single.php file from the GP theme? – to bad there is no filter to manipulate the page title – was wondering whether you would consider adding a filter in one of your next versions.
    the custom template file only seems to work if the file is in the main child theme folder – is there a way to put those templates into a sub-folder?

2. that code worked

3. found the following filter that seems to work:

/* Comment Form: Remove comment form from attachment page
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
    function themeprefix_remove_attachment_comments( $open, $post_id ) {
    	//return false;
    	$post = get_post( $post_id );

if ( $post->post_type == 'attachment' )
    		$open = false;

return $open;
    }
    add_filter( 'comments_open', 'themeprefix_remove_attachment_comments', 10, 2 );
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. the_title() is filterable by default, but it applies to a bunch of elements throughout WordPress (menu items, widget titles etc..).

Yes, I would copy single.php, and you’ll likely need to merge content-single.php in place of the get_template_part() function in there, as I think that file contains the_title().

3. Nice! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Matthew

hi Tom,

I’ve just set up the theme and this is my first post. I really like the clean, basic and neutral front end which will allow my artwork to stand out.

I also want to create an attachment.php template file dedicated for images and will copy
    single.php for this purpose.

When you say “you’ll likely need to merge content-single.php in place of the get_template_part() function..” does this mean I add all the code that’s contained in content-single.php directly into single.php deleting and replacing the current code of:

get_template_part( 'content', 'single' );

thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Exactly 🙂

Matthew

hi Tom,

Unfortunately this didn’t work and resulted in the white screen.

In place of get_template_part( 'content', 'single' ); I tried the following:

1) The entire code from content-single
    2) All code from content-single within <article> tag, including this tag
    3) All code from content-single within <div class="inside-article"> tag, including this tag
    4) All code from content-single within <div class="inside-article"> tag, excluding this tag.

Tried this with a file named attachment.php in both Child theme and Parent folder

Could you possibly set up an attachment page at your end to send across? At the moment I’m guessing a bit here.

Thanks,

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    Matthew

Thanks that did the trick!

But it is only missing the image so I went into the WP TwentyNineteen theme file for attachments and copied below code and placed it into <div class="entry-content"> of my new attachments.php file:

<figure>
    <?php
    /**
    * Filter the default twentynineteen image attachment size.
    * @since Twenty Sixteen 1.0
    * @param string $image_size Image size. Default 'large'.
    */
    $image_size = apply_filters( 'twentynineteen_attachment_size', 'medium' );

echo wp_get_attachment_image( get_the_ID(), $image_size );
    ?>
    </figure>

This works and I can even change the image size but I am concerned it is not GeneratePress code. How can it apply this filter correctly. Should I change anything here or leave it?

thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can just leave it, as you can change the size directly without the need for a filter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.