[Resolved] Archive and Categories – remove header, secondary navigation and content title

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Archive and Categories – remove header, secondary navigation and content title

Home Forums Support Archive and Categories – remove header, secondary navigation and content title

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ted

Hello;

Just purchased your product the other day by recommendation of the elementor plugin/builder. However tonight I had a huge meltdown on the categories page, it appears to be the elementor plugin that caused the problem, but we are still working on that.

While we work on the problem I mentioned above, I would like to think this isn’t a GeneratePress problem and would like to keep working on the site with GeneratePress until I very good reason not too.

My question is, as I am a premium theme owner, I am able to disable elements on pages with the GP Premium 1.2.04 plugin. However, I have not figured out how turn these features off on the ‘archive’ and ‘categories’ pages of the blog. I’m guessing that ‘tags’ will be the same.

I have gone through the customizer, I am either missing the feature or maybe it doesn’t exist? What I have done for now as a work around is:

β€’ remove the header image and set all the padding to zero
    β€’ set secondary menu to “–Select–” in the customizer

I have plans to have pages in the future have the header section visible and will be in need of the secondary navigation. So my current work-around is only fine short term, but I’ll need another solution long term. I hope I’m just missing a setting somewhere.

Thank you.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Ted,

Wordpress ignores all metaboxes on index pages (blog, archive etc…) by default.

Try this CSS below to hide those elements:

.blog .site-header,
    .blog .secondary-navigation,
    .blog .entry-title,
    .archive .site-header,
    .archive .secondary-navigation,
    .archive .entry-title {
        display: none;
    }

Adding CSS: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/

Let me know if this does what you are after.

If it doesn’t can you provide a link to your site?

Ted

This seems to be doing the trick. I have inspected some elements an followed your pattern. I think I will get the results I need.

Just a quick question; there is mention of https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-css/

Why or what are the advantages of placing the CSS in this plugin vs the CSS in the theme?

Thank you.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

The Additional CSS field was introduced in the recent version of WordPress so before that it wasn’t an option.

Personally I like to use Simple CSS because it’s much easier to look at the codes with colors than black texts. Also features like auto indent is convenient.

Simple CSS also offers metabox for each page/post so people can add page/post specific CSS without targeting them.

I would say try both and see which method you like πŸ™‚

Ted

Thank you, Leo. This is good information, knowing that there wasn’t the functionality before and now I have two options. I will take your recommendation and try both in a local environment and see which I like best. πŸ™‚

I believe I will be able to achieve the look I would like based on the code you provided. I may need the naming convention of the tags section or something else, but so far I have been able to take your base model and inspect elements and adjust that… so far so good.

So, thank you for the support, I think we can consider this topic closed for now. Thank you.

Kind regards,
    Ted

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re very welcome πŸ™‚ Let us know if you have more questions!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.