[Resolved] Appearance > GeneratePress = Blank Page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Appearance > GeneratePress = Blank Page

Home Forums Support Appearance > GeneratePress = Blank Page

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Roundabout Publications

I updated a site to GeneratePress 3.1.0 and GP Premium 2.1.0
    Now when I select Appearance > GeneratePress, a new tab opens but the page is blank.
    There are no GP options available.
    I’m using ClassicPress 1.3.1 which is equivalent to WP 4.9.

Roundabout Publications

I see now that GeneratePress requires WP 5.2 and no longer supports WP 4.9. This is likely the issue. That sucks. Is there some way to revert to previous versions of GP and Premium until I find a suitable alternate to GP?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

We don’t provide links for older versions of GP and GP Premium on the accounts page, unfortunately.

But you can try requesting for a copy of the older version through our contact page.
    https://generatepress.com/contact/

…That sucks. Is there some way to revert to previous versions of GP and Premium until I find a suitable alternate to GP?

I think this is going to be tough to find. Most, if not all themes with active development adhere (almost immediately) to WordPress updates.

You may have to reason downloading from third-party sites which we don’t recommend as you may possibly get a hacked version of the theme.

It may be more better to learn the new ways going forward instead of trying to keep old features (like classic editor) which WordPress itself plans to drop by the end of this year.

Roundabout Publications

Thanks for the reply. I’ve experimented with Gutenberg fairly recently again and find it is still a mess. WP’s Classic Editor plugin is used by more than 5 million folks who will not be pleased when WP ends support. I really hate to leave GP for something else but I dislike Gutenberg and WP’s attitude toward its userbase more. I’ve been using GP and Premium since 2014. I’ve not yet searched but the ClassicPress fork of WP may have something similar to GP. Again, thanks for the reply.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for the reply. I’ve experimented with Gutenberg fairly recently again and find it is still a mess.

It has improved quite a lot over the years, but I get what you mean. 🙂

WP’s Classic Editor plugin is used by more than 5 million folks who will not be pleased when WP ends support.

Yes, it’s a shame but it is what it is. Themes can only follow or be some sort of a niche or a page builder like Elementor or Oxygen Builder.
    https://make.wordpress.org/core/2018/11/07/classic-editor-plugin-support-window/

Personally, I only work w/ either plain WordPress + GP & GB or Oxygen Builder (this is themeless). Sometimes I go with Elementor on special cases where clients specifically request for it.

But as for the point of the topic, you can get older versions of GeneratePress (the theme) here https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/releases

For the plugin, you can try requesting for one by contacting us through email –
    https://generatepress.com/contact/

Roundabout Publications

Thanks for the reply. I contacted GeneratePress but they recommended I not use an older version. I eventually was able to restore the theme and plugin to the prior version and all is working again.

I should be okay for a while but I will eventually have to find an alternative. I refuse to return to WP for the way they treated and responded to users expressing their opinion about Gutenberg becoming the default editor. I have said I would return to Drupal before returning to WordPress. As long as themes and plugins retain compatibility with WP 4.9, ClassicPress will continue to work just fine.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for the reply. I contacted GeneratePress but they recommended I not use an older version. I eventually was able to restore the theme and plugin to the prior version and all is working again.

No problem. Glad you found a way to revert it.

I should be okay for a while but I will eventually have to find an alternative. I refuse to return to WP for the way they treated and responded to users expressing their opinion about Gutenberg becoming the default editor. I have said I would return to Drupal before returning to WordPress. As long as themes and plugins retain compatibility with WP 4.9, ClassicPress will continue to work just fine.

As someone who’s done things on WordPress, Drupal and Odoo, my unbiased opinion would be to go with Drupal if you can maintain it. I liked Drupal’s “Views”. But then again, I’m not sure if what I remember is still the same. I only worked w/ Drupal sites for a brief moment and this way way back. (Drupal 7 & early Drupal 8).

But if you prefer ease of use, stay with WordPress. (Perhaps just use Classic blocks if you don’t want to bother with Gutenberg’s other core blocks)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.