[Support request] AMP Official Plugin

Home Forums Support [Support request] AMP Official Plugin

Home Forums Support AMP Official Plugin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Muhammad Qasim

Hello,

I installed official AMP plugin on my blog. It went well but the only issue is with ads. I selected “Classic” option in plugin that display AMP responses in classic (legacy) post templates in a basic design that does not match your theme’s templates.

However, since I have placed ad codes on my main theme, it is also showing that code on amp pages too. I have added a separate amp compatible ad below title which is working, but it is also loading that non-amp ad codes too, which I dont want to be there and they are also not loading. Can you please have a look at that and help me out?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Just so I fully understand, you have two ads on the page, one for AMP and one not. On AMP, it’s showing the not-for-AMP ad code.

So basically, you want to hide that not-for-AMP ad when using AMP?

Muhammad Qasim

Dear Tom,

Yes exactly. Actually, I am using QuickAdsense plugin for displaying ads on my blog. I think the best solution would be to be able to disable this plugin for amp pages only.

And yes exactly, I want only amp ads to be shown on amp pages. The other ads are not even working, but QuickAdsense plugin is showing them on amp pages too.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That might be something you need to bring up with the QuickAdsense developer, then.

They should be able to use the is_amp_endpoint() function to detect whether AMP is active or not.

If you had control over the HTML around the ads, we could write a function to hide them on AMP with CSS.

Muhammad Qasim

Its a free plugin and not updated in last few months, so I don’t expect any support from them.

I can’t play with ad codes, but can add CSS etc. above it. So would that work to hide it on amp pages? If yes, then I would be very thankful for the proper code to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

Muhammad Qasim

Or is it possible to edit plugins to add is_amp_endpoint() code to solve this? If this is possible, then it would also help me edit any other plugin which I donot want to work on amp versions.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you can wrap the ad, we could try this:

<div class="non-amp-ad">
        Your non-AMP ad in here.
    </div>

Then you can add this function:

add_action( 'wp_head', function() {
        if ( ! function_exists( 'is_amp_endpoint' ) ) {
            return;
        }

if ( ! is_amp_endpoint() ) {
            return;
        }
        ?>
            <style>
                .non-amp-ad {display: none;}
            </style>
        <?php
    } );
    Muhammad Qasim

Dear Tom,

I have placed my ads inside the CSS and added the code using Code Snippets plugin. Please refer to screenshot and check if I did it right, because it is still showing ads on amp pages.

https://paste.pics/63f2f91717724996a0f22a57495fc824

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That looks right to me.

Just to confirm, you’re using this plugin?: https://wordpress.org/plugins/amp/

Muhammad Qasim

Dear Tom,

Yes, it is the AMP official plugin you mentioned above. Can you please sort out what is issue now, as the problem is not yet fixed. I did the above steps.

Anna De Simone

I’ve the same problem!
    Muhammad Qasim, can i visit your website?

I’m using to QuickAdsense on another blog, try to paste the code on “Header Embed Code” of “Quick Adsense Setting Plug-in”.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

How are you testing the site on AMP? I can’t find a good way to do so.

Muhammad Qasim

By adding /amp/ at end of URL. Homepage is not on amp, only blog post pages. Eg. abc.com/blogpost-url/amp/

This will show the amp page and you can then also view the source-code.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Just checked this topic: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/add-custom-css-in-amp-paired-mode/

Instead of that function, try adding this in Customize > Additional CSS:

html[amp] .non-amp-ad {
        display: none;
    }
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.