[Support request] Alt Tags

Home Forums Support [Support request] Alt Tags

Home Forums Support Alt Tags

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Garth Dryland

I’ve been trying to work out why image alt tags don’t appear to work now?

If you check the images in the widgets on the right of the listed site you will see the top and bottom images show alt tags whereas the latest one in in the middle doesn’t.

Any idea why this happens? I was thinking it may be Gutenberg related if not GP. I cant seem to find any info on it.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Garth Dryland

Yes i know though the mouse over isn’t working on the middle one (tax traders).

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That is a bit strange indeed. The theme itself can’t cause issues like this though.

Have you tried disabling all plugins to eliminate any conflicts?

Garth Dryland

It doesn’t appear to be plugin related

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The “Title” tag is what shows when you hover. It seems the middle image is missing one while the other two have them.

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

That’s odd given I have all my images are tagged like this.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

try deactivating JetPacks lazy load option to see if that is messing with the attributes.

Garth Dryland

I never had it enabled.. I also deactivated plugins and it still occurs.

I also just added a new image to a test site with no plugins activated and it doesn’t show the Alt Tags on mouse over either.

I’m thinking it may have something to do with Gutenberg / Core if its nothing to do with GP which appears to be the case given I also just tested using the default 2020, 2019 and 2017 themes.

Having said that, the alt tags were 100% working on new images prior too and including December the 12th 2019 which post dates the introduction of Gutenberg.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thats odd – the markup for your images show the lazy-loaded attribute and are being served from wp.com server which is all the signs that JetPack is in play

Garth Dryland

I’ve done some more testing and it must be either a WordPress core issue or Gutenberg within core.

If I add an image to a fresh site with zero plugins by adding an image block to a post, a page or a widget, the alt tags will not show on mouse over.

On the other hand, if I use an HTML block in a post, a page or a widget, the alt tags will work on mouse over.

PS: I use the a3 Lazy Load plugin which should explain what you see.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Strange – it may be worth reporting to WordPress to see if anyone can replicate. The fact that it works on some images and doesn’t on others is weird though. If it works on some, it means the functionality behind it should be working.

Garth Dryland

I figure it must be something to do with the image blocks given it appears to affect all image block types..

Where’s the best place to post it re WordPress ?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Right here: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg

Be sure to use TwentyTwenty in your example with no other plugins.

Garth Dryland

Okay Tom

I’ll dedicate a clean site to that job tonight.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.