[Support request] Add a third menu to a page and preserve sticky behaviour

Home Forums Support [Support request] Add a third menu to a page and preserve sticky behaviour

Home Forums Support Add a third menu to a page and preserve sticky behaviour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Dear Generate Press team,

Thank you for your theme/ plugin and dox. They are excelent

My use case is that we are trying to keep away from dropdown menus and have a very short main header with no sub items. Our ‘older’ population and some digitally excluded find drop downs confusing… So we would like to be able to open a tertiary menu on specific pages below the main menu but also horizontal. This is similar to:
    the issue you address here, and we have the solution working.
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/add-third-navigation-menu-gpp-1-8/
    I’m competent css / html wise, but we would like to include this third navigation menu in the sticky behaviour of the main menu, and on that point I’m struggling to work out what I need to do. I suspect I need to customise the hook itself / add a function to the child theme and add some suitable classes. Unfortunately beyond that suspicion… I haven’t had a lot of success. Could you advise?

Ian

To clarify: After further forum diving – I’ve added the class ‘.main-navigation’ to the element that is triggered by the hook and triggered the behaviour ‘inside navigation’ and I am now getting the behaviour I would like except for one thing the ordering of the third navigation menu relative to the main navigation menu. So I am seeing:

Third-Navigation
    —————-
    Main-Navigation
    —————-
    Content

and what I ‘need’ is

Main-Navigation
    —————-
    Third-Navigation
    —————-
    Content’

But I don’t seem to see a hook for ‘inside-navigation-*last*’ e.g. which is perfectly reasonable… Is it possible to write a custom hook to target that?

Ian

Just to clarify for support techs thinking about problems with this approach.
    1. the number of pages which will have this ‘Third-Navigation’ menu will be strictly limited to less than say 7. I understand that it will need multiple ‘positions’ creating and that this will have some overhead – but we judge the usability improvement will be beneficial. Ideally I guess I’d write a hyper efficient plugin…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

We could use some CSS flex box to reverse the order of the navigations – any chance you can open the local host to a hosted site so i can see.

Let me know.

Ian

Thanks.I’m just doing some content sorting from a previous site and then I will put this in a subdomain of our site / spin something up on AWS and take you up on the flex box idea if I can. So please just hang on. Will be within the next couple of days

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The basics of it is this:

@media (min-width: 769px) {
        .inside-navigation {
            display: flex;
            flex-direction: column-reverse;
        }
    }

May need tweaking to suit the style. More than happy to have a look when a live link is available.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.