[Resolved] A mad mix: GeneratePress, Gutenberg, Columns

Home Forums Support [Resolved] A mad mix: GeneratePress, Gutenberg, Columns

Home Forums Support A mad mix: GeneratePress, Gutenberg, Columns

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jud

I want to have a home page with two columns. A left column will have the main text for the page. the right column will have a photograph.

I also want things to not look completely terrible. Currently text in the left column is displayed right next to (like, zero pixels) the photograph.

I have searched the forum, and read up on some moderately recent comments about using Lightweight Grids and assigning a class to tables and then assigning padding properties to the class.

I suppose another way would be to add a third, gutter, column.

– Any articles on recent best practices with GP/Gutenberg?
    – An article on the interplay between Gutenberg and page builders like Elementor?
    – Specifically, what is a good way to create the “two-columns in the main container” style?

GeneratePress 2.1.4
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Right now the Gutenberg columns don’t have any padding. I’m waiting to know for sure whether they’ll be adding options for padding, or relying on themes to add those options.

For now, you can just use some CSS. Your site seems to be in coming soon mode so I can’t give you the code.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Jud

Hi Tom,

I founded a company that built a sophisticated content management platform, over in Japan. I say that to let you know that I’m not just a fanboi when I say that your kung fu is very good. Thanks!

I have created a user/id/role for you, in case t will be useful, and so that, if needed, you can log in while I still have it in comingsoonmode.

U: generatepress
    P: gpisgood!
    R: editor

I’ll read the adding-css article.

My friend that consults re: WP likes your stuff.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s great to hear! Thank you!

I just tried logging in but I’m getting a username doesn’t exist error.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Jud

I have made sure that the account exists with the creds I supplied. Sorry for the delay.

I would like to know whether it would be simpler to use Gutenberg columns or Lightweight Grid. I will be happy to use either.

I am not sure how to (or if it is possible to) combine use of Lightweight Grid with Gutenberg. If they are incompatible, do I just start editing a page with the classic editor?

How do I add css to add padding to Gutenberg columns? Or, who should I ask?

If I use Lightweight Grid, how would I add padding?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Are you sure that’s the password? It’s not working for me.

If you’re already using Gutenberg, you might as well use their columns and add some padding with some CSS.

Jud

I just logged in from Firefox (I use it as a spare browser, cleaned of history) with

Thanks for your advice. How do I apply css to a Gutenberg columns object? That sounds like the solution. I assume I’ll write some Additional CSS. I think I’ll need a class name to use so that a browser knows which object to apply css to.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That got me in πŸ™‚

Which page are your Gutenberg columns on?

Jud

Home.

Tx.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, so you have text in the left column and your picture in the right column? Which column are you wanting to add padding to?

Jud

I guess that padding should be put on the one with text in it. I can see cases where I

WOULD like to have a picture right up to the border of its container.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Have you tried just ditching the columns and aligning the image to the right of the text?

Jud

Hmmmm. That actually does not look bad!

Thanks!. Take a look. The test page is Home A clone.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I like it πŸ™‚ Much more simple as well.

Jud

Thanks, Tom!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.