[Support request] 504 Gateway Timeout

Home Forums Support [Support request] 504 Gateway Timeout

Home Forums Support 504 Gateway Timeout

• This topic has 10 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Deepak

Hello,

I am importing one of your themes and I get this 504 Bad Gateway error.

I understand I am supposed to add

fastcgi_buffers 16 16k;
    fastcgi_buffer_size 32k;

But where exactly do we add this? I am using site ground and am in my File Manager. But where exactly do we add this?

Deepak

I spoke to siteground,

They told me:

Dobrin I.: I have checked your account and I can see you are currently on the GrowBig shared hosting plan

Dobrin I.: and we are not able to edit the config file on the server

Dobrin I.: as that will affect a lot of clients

Deepak

I added

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, true );
    define( ‘WP_DEBUG_LOG’, true );

To my Wp_config.php

I am unable to find my Debug.log in Wp-content either…

Deepak

Only the very basic themes are importing all the rest are giving me 504 gateway timeout. This is very frustrating after spending hours trying to find solutions and I really assumed paying for Generatepress with how robust it seemed, I wouldn’t be having to do much troubleshooting.

I searched the forums here for solutions but I can’t find any solution in any prior thread

plz help

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

If you’d added WP_DEBUG_LOG, you should find a debug.log file in your wp_content folder. However, you need to make the error happen for an error to create the file.

If only basic sites are importing, it likely means your server is hitting its limits when important the heavier content sites. Siteground usually works fine, but it’s possible you’re on a server that already has high resource usage.

Deepak

So what should i do?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Make sure WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG are still added, then run the import again until the error appears.

Then look for the debug.log file.

If it doesn’t display, you’ll need to check with Siteground to make sure errors are reporting.

The log will at least tell us a more specific cause of the error. My guess is that it’s server resource-related, which is tough if the server techs aren’t willing to increase resources.

Is the error happening during the content import process (step 2)?

Deepak

Yes step 2, please see here: https://imgur.com/a/6TApRM5

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah yea, the WooCommerce sites are particularly heavy when it comes to content.

How long does it take for the error to happen approximately?

Deepak

It would occur in 2 minutes then the Siteground guy said he increased my timeout time to 300 seconds then it still occurred but after a longer period of time

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It shouldn’t take that long, which tells me the server is already taxed. Shared servers are a pain like this, as other sites on the same server could be using up the majority of the resources.

Your solution would be to manually import the content: https://gpsites.co/files/target/content.xml

You would import this in Tools > Import using the core WordPress importer.

The only down-side to this is it won’t complete the site library importer, which means things like menus and widgets won’t be imported.

You could try the site library again after importing the content, as it should skip a lot of the existing content that was imported in the core importer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.