[Resolved] Blog Excerpt Length not working

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Blog Excerpt Length not working

Home Forums Support Blog Excerpt Length not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Paul

Hi Tom,

I’m using the customizer to try to limit the length of blog post excerpts when they show in masonry grid on the main blog page, yet the entire post is showing for all blog posts.

I have even tried placing the first paragraph into the ‘Excerpt’ box below each post while in page editor, yet I still can’t limit the length of the blog posts.

Interestingly, the settings to hide the author, date, categories, tags, and comments link DO work.

Any ideas?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What’s the “Blog Post Content” option set to in “Customize > Blog > Blog Content”.

How about your post formats? Are you using any other than standard?

Paul

Hi Tom,

Here are my settings in Customize > Blog > Blog Content:

Blog Post Content: Show Excerpt
    Excerpt Length: 200
    Read more label: Read more…

Masonry is set to: Medium

Post Image is set to: Show

As for the individual posts, they are formatted as ‘Standard’. No elements are disabled, and they each feature a Featured Image, as well as 1 paragraph of excerpt text added to the ‘Excerpt’ box while in the page editor. Even when there is no excerpt text added to the post, nothing is different.

A screenshot of how the Blog page appears under the current settings:

screenshot

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, last thing to check would be if you’re using the “more tag” or not?

If you are, and don’t want to go through your posts to remove it, you can overwrite the function that shows the formatting with the more tag with this filter:

add_filter('generate_more_tag','generate_disable_more_tag');
    function generate_disable_more_tag()
    {
          return false;
    }

Adding PHP: http://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-php-functions/

Let me know πŸ™‚

Paul

No, I wasn’t using MORE. Using the MORE tag does the job, but I prefer not to use it. I’d rather have the feature within the Customizer’s Blog settings automatically truncate all posts to 200 characters.

I tried turning off extra plugins, but that didn’t help either,

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I see, well we’ve covered everything that could possibly be doing this I think.

Any way you can send me temporary admin login details to support@generatepress.com so I can take a better look?

Paul

I’m building this on localhost right now. If I can’t fix it by the time the site’s up on the live server, I’ll drop a comment back here in this thread and send you the credentials via email. Many thanks so far.

Luis

Hi Tom,

I was having some issues stripping the HTML in the excerpt (http://generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-to-hide-featured-images-or-strip-formatting-from-excerpt/) but the removal of the MORE tag did the trick. I added it to the functions.php file of my child theme.

Thanks a lot!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Paul – sounds good, I’ll be here.

Luis – awesome! Glad it was helpful πŸ™‚

Paul

Hi Tom, hate to report it, but I’m still having this issue. This for a different website though.

Posts with or without an excerpt are not affected by the Blog Post Content > Show Excerpt + Excerpt Length # settings. I can set Excerpt Length to 5, 10, 500 and nothing changes.

I even tried your recommendation in reply #122509 to no avail.

If you want to take a peek in the backend, let me know. I really don’t want my client to have to remember to use the More tag each time he posts an article.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s weird, something strange going on.

Feel free to send the login details my way: https://generatepress.com/contact/

Also, you might want to try #1 on this page to rule out any plugins: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

Paul

Hi Tom, thanks for that reminder. I disabled all the plugins and the truncated excerpts worked. I then re-activated each plugin and tested excerpts one at a time. Excerpts now working with all plugins re-activated. How weird. Thanks for your help!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Well that’s strange.. Glad it’s working now though πŸ™‚

Antonio

An equal behavior is reproduced when the “Advanced Excerpt Options” plugin is installed, which is normal πŸ™‚

I am new to Generatepress and the truth, the theme and support is perfect. Thank you Tom.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Great to hear – thank you! πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.