[Resolved] Is there a place to add a favicon in Generate Press?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Is there a place to add a favicon in Generate Press?

Home Forums Support Is there a place to add a favicon in Generate Press?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Simon

Is there a place to add a favicon in Generate Press?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We decided to omit this feature as it seems to be more plugin territory than theme territory.

This plugin should work great: http://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-favicon/

Tom

Simon

Thank you Tom.

Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

I am wondering if you’re still of this view? I have seen a number of WP themes which have a favicon feature included.

I’ve been building static html sites and following various CMS as they have progressed over many years and for me personally, favicons are theme related because they are part of the graphic/branding appearance of the site and not a functional thing, as plugins generally are.

I am also of the mindset that if you build a site with the least amount of addons/plugins made by the least amount of developers (and that the themes and plugins have a good following) there is a much greater chance your site will stay up to date and continue to run the latest versions of both wordpress and a few limited top quality themes and plugins.

A simple example of this (there are many more) is the link you posted referencing a favicon plugin (at the time of this post) is stating its compatible up to version 3.83 yet we are currently able to build with version 4.0

While I understand that favicons only require a simple piece of code to be inserted to work (and this favicon plugin would probably be completely fine with 4.0) I would like to see this feature introduced as one of the add-ons you promote with the various package options you offer. I feel it would be yet another reason to buy into GeneratePress

I reckon that would be awesome for you and everyone who use it today and in the future.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Garth,

I definitely agree that the fewer plugins you use, the better.

I may decide to add a favicon option one day – it just wouldn’t work too well in the Customizer, and I want to try and keep all of my options in there.

If you’re wanting to add a favicon with no plugin or anything, your best bet would be to upload the favicon.ico file directly to the root of your website via FTP. This is the best possible method to add a favicon, as it requires no external plugin, and no code at all.

Let me know if you have any questions πŸ™‚

Sarah

For the life of me I can’t make a favicon appear! Normally I’d just upload an image to replace the current favicon icon but I can’t find it in GeneratePress.

I’ve uploaded favicon.ico to the root directory and I’ve also tried uploading it to the theme content – nothing is appearing.

I had a hunt on the internet and WPBeginner suggest adding this code

<link rel=”icon” href=”http://newboldstressrelief.com/favicon.ico&#8221; type=”image/x-icon” />
    <link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”http://newboldstressrelief.com/favicon.ico&#8221; type=”image/x-icon” />

to the header.php file – so I created that in my child theme but still nothing. So I installed a Header/Footer plugin and tried adding the code there instead.

Nothing!

I can’t figure out why it’s not working. I don’t really want to install a plugin to make a favicon appear, I just want to amend the code.

Any advice?

Garth Dryland

Simply placing a favicon.ico in the root directory of the site has worked for me as Tom suggested.

Just a thought but perhaps you have the jetpack site icon plugin activated and maybe that somehow blocks a favicon.ico displaying from root.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sometimes you have to wait for the favicon to show up when you upload it to your root – try clearing your browser cache.

Dee Broughton

I, too, have favicons in all my root directories, no code, no plugin. They work fine with GP for me.

Sarah

Hi Garth, Tom and Dee, thank you for responding to my plea for help πŸ™‚

I don’t use Jetpack and had refreshed my browser cache which is why I was so bemused as to why it wouldn’t show up for me.

Today I decided to call up the .ico filepath via Chrome and Firefox and when I did that, it made the favicon appear. Firefox gave me a warning that the file had errors in it – no idea why, but it all seems to be working now, thank goodness!

Dee Broughton

I have trouble making it show in Firefox. For others, check other browsers. If it’s there, at least you know you did it right.

pramod

you must add favicon option in customization. it is basic setting for every blog and website!! thanks for nice theme

Garth Dryland

That’s what I thought too however it works by simply placing a favicon.ico into the sites root directory.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s definitely best to just upload your favicon.ico file into your root directory – no plugin or option needed πŸ™‚

Chandra

Hi, sorry for bumping this topic but this is the first result on Google when you search how to add favicon in GeneratePress.

I want to recommend a site for generating favicon: http://realfavicongenerator.net/

It’s not only 32×32 or 16×16 size but it will generate much more format recognized ini iPhone and Android in high resolution.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.