Reply To: Multiple primary navigations?

Home Forums Support Multiple primary navigations? Reply To: Multiple primary navigations?

Home Forums Support Multiple primary navigations? Reply To: Multiple primary navigations?

Tommi

Thank you for the help Tom, I’ve managed to build up all the functionality i’ve desired to the navigation. There are three primary navigations, each with their own carets and search fields. The mobile scaling works all built into the standard GeneratePress without plugins. All that remains is a truckload of css declarations to get this styled.

In the end I didn’t use remove_action as suggested. The carets were applied with a wordpress filter hook. I used the same hook to add a function with a different name and values to just add the exact same functionality to the site-area-1 and 2 menus without touching the declaration on the primary-menu.

For anyone else that is trying to achieve a similar changing navigation based on where in the site the user is. Here is the functioning code, be warned though I am still a junior web developer so there might be errors in the code.

register_nav_menus( array(
	'site-area-1'       => __( 'menuLocationName', 'myTheme'),
	'site-area-2'       => __( 'menuLocationName', 'myTheme')
) );

/** End register menu **/

/** Start navigation **/
/** Following function chooses and builds a navigation based on the location the user is in. **/

function generate_navigation_position()
{
	?>
	<nav itemtype="http://schema.org/SiteNavigationElement" itemscope="itemscope" id="site-navigation" <?php generate_navigation_class(); ?>>
		<div class="inside-navigation grid-container grid-parent">
			<?php do_action( 'generate_inside_navigation' ); ?>
			<button class="menu-toggle" aria-controls="primary-menu" aria-expanded="false">
				<?php do_action( 'generate_inside_mobile_menu' ); ?>
				<span class="mobile-menu"><?php echo apply_filters('generate_mobile_menu_label', __( 'Menu', 'generatepress' ) ); ?></span>
			</button>
			<?php 

/* Get current ID and get it's ancestors. */
				global $post;
				$ancs = get_ancestors($post->ID, 'page');
				/*Ancestors returns an array. */

if( end($ancs) == 90 || is_page(90)) {
					/* check value of array's last index against ancestor's page ID */
					wp_nav_menu( 
						array( 
							'theme_location' => 'site-area-1', 
							/* Add registered menu to 'theme_location' => 'YOUR_MENU' */
							'container' => 'div',
							'container_class' => 'main-nav',
							'container_id' => 'primary-menu',
							'menu_class' => '',
							'fallback_cb' => 'generate_menu_fallback',
							'items_wrap' => '<ul id="%1$s" class="%2$s ' . join( ' ', generate_get_menu_class() ) . '">%3$s</ul>'
						) 
					);
				} 

elseif( end($ancs) == 92 || is_page(92)) {

wp_nav_menu( 
						array( 
							'theme_location' => 'site-area-2',
							'container' => 'div',
							'menu_class' => '',
							'items_wrap' => '<ul id="%1$s" class="%2$s ' . join( ' ', generate_get_menu_class() ) . '">%3$s</ul>'
						) 
					);
				}
				else{
					wp_nav_menu( 
						array( 
							'theme_location' => 'primary',
							'container' => 'div',
							'menu_class' => '',
						) 
					);
			} 
			?>
		</div><!-- .inside-navigation -->
	</nav><!-- #site-nav -->
	<?php
}
/** End navigation **/

/* Following function adds the down arrow to the navigation bars. Add new navigation menus into the if statement below. */

add_filter( 'walker_nav_menu_start_el', 'bitbar_generate_nav_dropdown', 10, 4 );
function bitbar_generate_nav_dropdown( $item_output, $item, $depth, $args ) 
{
	// If we're working with the primary or secondary theme locations
	if ( 'site-area-1' == $args->theme_location || 'site-area-2' == $args->theme_location ) {
		// If a dropdown menu is detected
		$dropdown = ( in_array( 'menu-item-has-children', $item->classes ) || in_array( 'page_item_has_children', $item->classes ) ) ? true : false;
		if ( $dropdown ) :
			// Add our arrow icon
			$item_output = str_replace( $args->link_after . '</a>', $args->link_after . '<span role="button" class="dropdown-menu-toggle" aria-expanded="false"></span></a>', $item_output );
		endif;
	}

// Return the output
	return $item_output;
}
// end down arrow segment

// Following adds search icon and field to menues declared in the second if statement.

add_filter( 'wp_nav_menu_items','generate_menu_search_icon', 10, 2 );
function generate_menu_search_icon( $nav, $args ) 
{
	$generate_settings = wp_parse_args( 
		get_option( 'generate_settings', array() ), 
		generate_get_defaults() 
	);

// If the search icon isn't enabled, return the regular nav
	if ( 'enable' !== $generate_settings['nav_search'] )
		return $nav;

// If our primary menu is set, add the search icon
    if( $args->theme_location == 'primary' || $args->theme_location == 'site-area-1' || $args->theme_location == 'site-area-2' )
        return $nav . '<li class="search-item" title="' . _x( 'Search', 'submit button', 'generatepress' ) . '"><a href="#"><i class="fa fa-fw fa-search"></i></a></li>';

// Our primary menu isn't set, return the regular nav
	// In this case, the search icon is added to the generate_menu_fallback() function in navigation.php
    return $nav;
}

/* This function is used to prevent secondary menu's collapse on mobile devices. 
 Note: to make it work fully there is a css declaration to 
 .secondary-navigation .menu-toggle {display: none;} 
 */

add_action( 'after_setup_theme', 'theme_slug_setup' );
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'generate_dequeue_secondary_nav_mobile', 999 );
function generate_dequeue_secondary_nav_mobile() {
   wp_dequeue_style( 'generate-secondary-nav-mobile' );
}
/* end */

Any feedback and bug fixes /tune up is welcome.
Once again the entire system falls apart if page parents are not used.

I think that about wraps up this issue. But fret not, there are still a dozen more things about this site I need to do so you might hear from me yet. Thanks again for the help Tom.