[Resolved] Equal length columns

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Equal length columns

Home Forums Support Equal length columns

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Michael

I did get it to lengthen the main content panel to full length and sidebars too (by adding the script code to wp_footer hook) – except for those custom sidebars that I’ve created using the plugin “Custom Sidebars” by WPMU DEV – I’m assuming now that those sidebars are acting independently – I’ll have to take a look at the files associated with that plugin..

Anyway – thanks for the help!
    mc

Michael

Just to follow up – I copied the script code in wp_footer and did notice that the ‘pages’ showed full length on screen, but then on 2nd look I noticed that any pages showing a list of same-category posts were rendering each post as full-page size (well past the “Read More” link).

I need the category/archive pages to show properly, so I removed the code from wp_footer.

I’ll take a closer look at the .php pages and functions.. do let us know if you know of a solution for this issue.

Not that big a deal, but getting consistent presentation and layout is preferred of course.

Thanks!

Alex

Any solution yet?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Working on it – it’s a little more complicated than expected unfortunately, unless you’re using one container. If you’re using Separate Containers, it gets a little crazy.

Hoping to have a solution ASAP.

Alex

i’ve updated GP…is there a solution included ?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m getting closer, but the result isn’t consistent.

I have it working on my localhost, but I’m experiencing issues on live websites.

Rest assured that I’m working on it – I can see it’s a wanted feature, and I definitely want to make you guys happy! πŸ™‚

Alex

Thanks, we – users of GP – appreciate it )

That is definitely needed to give more monolithic and proffesional look to websites.

Best,

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Alright, I’m happy to say we should finally have a solution πŸ™‚

First, you need to update to the latest version of Spacing or GP Premium.

Then, this updated code should work: https://gist.github.com/generatepress/b946892d810435352fd9

First, you’ll see I added some CSS in there. This is simply so you can see the sidebar reaches the same level as the content. I’ll be adding a new option to Colors soon that will allow you to choose the sidebar background color.

So, paste that code into the wp_footer area of GP Hooks, and you should be good to go.

Thanks!

*** UPDATE ***

If you want to use CSS only, you can do this:

.site-content {
        display: flex;
    }

.sidebar {
        background: #f5f5f5;
    }
    Alex

Oh. thanks, but it just made worse. I deleted CSS from wp_footer temporarily.
    The disqus comments are now behaving strange…
    http://titanovo.com/myths-electroencephalography-eeg/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It shouldn’t have done anything to the Disqus section – this is a known thing which I didn’t add integration for yet.

http://www.generatepress.com/forums/topic/background-for-disqus/

Amanda Martin

Thanks for working on this Tom!

This isn’t going to be a problem for me but you might consider making it so that if the menu is longer than the main container then the main container grows to the same length at the menu. So they are always the same length.

Enjoy the coffee!! πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the coffee!! πŸ™‚

The script should take the tallest element, and match the other to the same height – let me know if you have any problems with it.

Amanda

Here’s a page that I haven’t completed yet and the columns don’t line up.

http://www.vancouverhomeexchange.ca/neighbourhood/

As I said before not really a problem for me, more of a heads up.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, to fix this, you would need to set a background color the main container.

Something like:

.site-main {
          background:#FFF;
    }
    Michael

Great job on this fix, Tom!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • The topic ‘Equal length columns’ is closed to new replies.